Sunday, November 28, 2010

One Year Ago

A year ago today, my life changed forever.  I always feel like that phrase has a negative connotation, but in this case, it was a wonderful thing.  I woke up a year ago today from a restless night of very little sleep.  I was tired and didn't really want to get out of bed, despite the long list of things I had to do, and an appointment to get to.  I went through my morning ritual of putting in my contacts and brushing my teeth.  I went down the stairs of my parents house for probably the last time, and it was bittersweet.  That was the home I'd gone back to in college, where I  had spent my high school years, and it was filled with happy memories, and I had just spent my last night there.  When I got to the kitchen, my Mom didn't say much.  She just hugged me a little longer than normal, and went about her business.

By 9:30, I was sitting in the hair salon, watching my sisters have their hair styled and curled, then my Mom, and my friend Rhonda.  My fiance's mother showed up with containers of food left over from the night before  Then it was my turn.  I hadn't stressed about this decision.  In fact, there wasn't a lot leading up to that moment that I actually had stressed about. 


When it was finished my hair was done, and my veil was in place.  I remember playing with the crystals that hung off the edges of it.  I wasn't really nervous, just ready for 4:30 to arrive.  We made it to the church, bags, dresses, and make-up in tow.  It was a beautiful day!  We set up shop in our designated area in the church and started the long process of make-up application and dressing.



The time finally arrived.  Pictures were finished, and the church was filled with people.  I teach high school...I stand in front of people every day.  But when I heard them setting up extra chairs, I started getting nervous.  But when the appropriate music played, I walked with my Dad down the long aisle, trying to keep my skinny heel from dropping into a hole in the decorative metal grate half way down.


I don't remember much about the actual ceremony.  I do remember thinking that those vows Nick and I had put together seemed like a lot better idea four weeks ago when I gave them to our pastor.  At that moment they seemed like they were ten years long.

When it was all said and done, I had become Mrs. Elgin.  Months of plannings and preperations had come together in one beautiful, perfect day.  I loved the wedding process, and I loved our wedding day.  It was the beginning of an amazing year.  We've accomplished a lot, and have lots more planned. 



One year ago today, I married my best friend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment