Sunday, June 13, 2010

Angel Biscuits and a Puppy Pool

Since I've married into the Elgin family, there are a few family recipes that I've made it a mission to conquer.  The first was my mother-in-law's homemade gravy.  Sometimes she puts sausage in it and sometimes she just leaves it plain for things like Country Fried Steak.  For me, gravy had always came out of a packet from the store mixed with some milk.  My husband was horrified the first time we grocery shopped together and I suggested store-bought, packet gravy.  Homemade gravy was the first culinary conquest.
The second recipe I felt the need to take was Granny Elgin's Coconut Pie...except I don't like coconut so I use bananas instead.  Check.  The last recipe I'm working on (for now) is that for Angel Biscuits.  A close friend of my mother-in-law's makes them, and she's practically family so it's close enough.  This weekend was the second time I've attempted these biscuits.  The first time was rough enough I had to take a break.  The dough is STICKY! and very frustrating.  Luckily today was a little better, although my kitchen looked like a war zone when I was finished.  (Notice the red Solo cups that are present in the absence of a working dishwasher.)  The final product turned out pretty well.  I think I'll give this recipe another go.

Before I tackled biscuits today, Nick and I bought our puppy a present, and before you ask, yes she gets a lot of those.  Because she's such a princess and doesn't like sun or hot weather, we decided she might need a pool to help cool her off.  It was a hit I think.

She was all smiles, but it could be just because she realized her pool was another outlet for her to make a mess in the house....


No comments:

Post a Comment